Should You Add More Fresh Fruit to Your Diet?
March is National Nutritional Month. And whether one opts to send a nutritious edible fruit basket or adapt new eating habits, add these nutritional facts to your food basket.
Which foods don’t fit the nutritional composite?
Food preparation plays a leading role in nutritional sustenance. Salt laden, deep fried foods, prepared using trans fat foods that should be limited in any diet.
For additional details about National Nutrition Month, please visit www.eatright.org/.
Which foods pack the greatest nutritional value? Organic raw vegetables and fruit pack the greatest sources of vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants.
What to look for in fruit?
Fruits loaded with vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Blackberries, strawberries, goji berries, raspberries, cherries are laden with antioxidants.
What are the best nutritional characteristics of vegetables?
Vegetables contain different vitamins and minerals just like fruit. In terms of nutritional value, vegetables follow the same rule of thumb that fruit does: vivid colors are generally richer in antioxidants. Among vegetables leafy green vegetables such as kale, spinach and broccoli present an abundance of vitamins and nutrients.
Are nuts really nutritious?
Nuts are loaded with nutrients and are also high in fat. Therefore, nuts should be consumed in moderation. A study at Purdue University found that the best nutritional value is derived from nuts when they are pureed. (Walnuts, almonds and sunflowers.)
Best preparation: Fruits and vegetable offer the best nutritional value when consumed raw. Tarts, fruit salads (optional sprinkled with pine nuts or almonds) and fruit served with yogurt represent three simple alternatives for incorporating fruit. (That’s why fruit baskets make for an ideal dinner gift).
What is the nutritional value of the banana? What climates are ripe for cultivating bananas? Are bananas healthy for children?
- Sources at Purdue University Horticulture department say that the banana is a species of the the Musa plant family (also referred to as the family Musaceae).
- According to Wikipedia, five countries account for the greatest banana production. These include Brazil, China,India, Ecuador and the Philippines.
- Although bananas can be cultivated in most soils, the fruit is intolerant of sodium rich soil. Some banana growers conduct extreme irrigations to filter salt from sodium.
- Nevertheless, the fruit thrives best in rich, well-drained soil, preferably soil with a pH level between 5.5 and 6.5.
- Bananas are native to extremely warm climate; in particular tropical regions where the climate never freezes.
- Ten to 15 months is the standard span it takes for a banana to produce a flower stalk. Since the soil conditions in California are not conducive in Southern California, many of the state’s agriculturists belong to California Rare Fruit Growers Association.
- One-hundred and ten is the average caloric value for a medium sized banana.
- Bananas comprise rich sources of potassium and fiber.
- There are 450 milligrams of potassium in bananas, and 3 grams of fiber and 1 gram of protein.
- Organic pureed bananas are a nourishing food to serve infants opposed to canned baby food which often contains unnatural additives. In fact the American Academy of Pediatrics deems Bananas to be a safe an pure enough for a baby’s first solid food.
How often do you eat bananas? What is types of edible fruit do you enjoy in a fruit basket?
What do DippedFruit.com, Edible.com and FruitDesigns.com have in common? Aside from being websites selling fresh fruit gifts, the URL addresses belong to the same edible fruit company. Among the most beloved fruit bouquet companies, one entity maintains a growing list of alias URL addresses. And while the edible fruit company is not trying to mislead its loyal following, it appears that the company is protective of anyone buying a domain that refers to any of its offerings.
Edible Arrangements.com happens to be the most popular fruit basket company’s The flagship website.
Edible.com is one of the website properties owned by EA. When visitors access the site, the web page appears to be linked to Edible Arrangement’s home page as a campaign redirect. Nevertheless, “edible” is also the edible fruit company’s handle on Twitter.
For several years now, Edible Arrangements’ wedding
Is fruit off limits for individuals with diabetes? Contrary to the misconception that fresh fruit is unfeasible for diabetics, Dr. Maria Collazo-Clavell, a physician of Mayo Clinic reveals how diabetics can include fruit in their daily diet.
By measuring fruit servings based on the amount of carbohydrates, diabetics can enjoy these nutritional snacks in moderation. According to Dr. Collazo Clavell, diabetics should not exceed more than 15 grams of carbohydrates in one serving of fruit.
Harry and David’s Oregold(R) Peaches edible fruit baskets serve as great fruit baskets for diabetics. The organic peaches are available in season July through the beginning of September.
FACTOID: Only fresh or dried fruit is recommended for diabetics. Because canned fruit is laden in sucrose and high levels of carbohydrates, it is not part of a healthy diabetic diet.
According to Dr. Collazo-Clavell diabetics the appropriate serving size of edible fruit for a diabetic should not exceed 15-grams of carbohydrates.
Here is a short list of fresh fruit:
- 3/4 cup (124 grams) cubed pineapple
- 1 peach (165 grams)
- 1/2 orange (165 grams)
- Banana – 1/2 a banana
- 1/2 cup of cubed mango
- 1 1/4 cup (190 grams) cubed watermelon
- 1 1/4 cup (180 grams) whole strawberries
- 1 apple (110 grams)
Diabetics enjoy an ounce of the following dried fruits (and staying within the 15 to 17 grams of carbohydrates):
- Dried apricots
- Dried peaches
- Dried prunes
- Dried apples
Edible gift basket tip: When sending an edible fruit basket to an individual diagnosed with diabetes, send a basket of fresh fruit with whole pieces of fruit. Because Edible Arrangements must be consumed within 24-hours, the contents are too high in carbohydrates for a diabetic to consume within the same day. Also, note that chocolate dipped fruit and other toppings are unsuitable for diabetics, as these toppings are generally laden in sugar.
Beyond Valentine’s Day, February presents awareness for several noteworthy causes. From a few beloved fruits to heart health, observe or celebrate the second month of the year with these.
February Is National Month of …
American Heart Month
Foremost, February is American Heart Health Month. Heart disease continues to dominate America’s mortality rate. The American Heart Association‘s research states that heart attacks assume some 597,000+ lives a year.
Although National grapefruit month shares the same month of awareness as American Heart Awareness, the softball sized fruit is not recommended for people, who suffer from cardiovascular disease, taking medication for the heart.
Did you know… The Harvard Medical School Family notes that grapefruits interact with various prescriptions related to heart health. Bottom line: If you’re on a blood pressure medication, a calcium blocker, or statin, check the prescription details for interactions.
February: National Cherry Month
The correlation in February between American Heart Month and cherries is noteworthy. February is also recognized as National Cherry Month. And, several clinical studies,